Sunday, February 19, 2006

Intro to the Spartina Blog

Intro - I thought I'd create this blog to post notes about various projects that I'm undertaking on Spartina. In the past as I've worked on various boats (a Wauquiez Centurion 32 and a Pearson 30) I've created simple to record thoughts and notes. These have turned out to be invaluable to me (and I hope to a few others) whenever I need to remember various details of how things were done etc.

First a bit of background - Spartina is a 1985 Pearson 36-2 - Hull number 46. I purchased her last year (May 2005). She was previously named "Aqua Vite" and when I purchased her, she was in Hingham Ma.

Following a very thorough survey (by the way I highly recommend the surveyor - Peter Hunt - he was incredibly knowledgable and spent as much time with me as I wanted going over things in fine detail) I had a pretty good punch list of maintenance issues to tackle prior to launch. At some point I hope to go into detail about each - but the major ones were

  1. Rudder bearing replacement - the thrust bearings had completely worn out and the quadrant was grinding against the fiberglass support tube.
  2. Saturated deck core below bow rail
  3. Anchor rode / chain needed replacement
  4. Vibration between 2800 - 3200 rpm
  5. Leak coming from companion way cover - needs to be rebedded - replace core as precaution
  6. Manual bilge pump - not functioning.

In addition to the survey punch list - I've added my own to do list

  1. Add a rigid vang - get rid of topping lift
  2. Previous owner had replaced starter with auto - non marine version. Sticks - replace with yanmar part
  3. Replace / repair floor boards - stained
  4. Head needs to be rebuilt. Holding - replace with larger holding tank.

So - my intent with this blog is to chronicle these (and other) projects along with some cruising notes, maybe some pictures.

Thanks for visiting

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home